Saturday, August 25, 2018

Medieval Shelf #13

I'm not a very good blogger anymore. Work took over my life and I've been making baby blankets like a fiend and haven't had much time for stitching. Plus I think my stitching bug left me for a time. But I went to HAEDcon this past weekend and it reignited the stitchiness so I managed to finish page 1 of Medieval Shelf. I think I'm going to give this to my nephew when it's done. Should be done just in time for his 18th birthday.

Before:

After:


I definitely had a brief fear that my corners weren't going to match, but they did!

HAEDcon was great. I drove from the Bay Area all the way to Seaside, OR up 101, which took just about 15.5 hours. I was hoping for great ocean views and got nothing but fog all the way from Eureka north. Coming back I drove through Portland and took I-5 South so it was only 11 hours. If I can go again, I will fly.

Other than that I got to meet some really awesome artists. Randal Spangler, Jeff Haynie, Hannah Lynn, Aimee Stewart, and Rob Carlos. Michele and Bob Sayetta were also there, of course, which was a treat. I got to meet Lesli, who I've had a blog friendship with for over half a decade and only just met her last week. It was wonderful. Besides the stitching, the artists, and the people, I got to spend a week vegging on the beach, eating fish and chips on the sand, and drinking wonderful coffee. All in all it was great. I started David Hoffrichter's "The Wizard's Implements" per the direction of H³ and will show off a photo of that once I've made about 10 hours of progress. I'm stitching it using Extreme Cross Country (ECC) which I've wanted to do for a while so I'm excited for that prospect.

I'm also considering buying an iPad to aid in my stitching. I know it may sound crazy but I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to stitching and all my charts are being printed on paper. This is starting to feel wasteful and inefficient and I think having an iPad, EZ PDF Reader, and a nice stand would aid in the situation. And maybe save my eyes the trouble of staring at a tiny chart. Net, I think it would be a good stitching investment.

Anyway, I hope to blog sooner than 3 months next time. Until then, everyone, happy stitching!

6 comments:

Linda said...

Awesome progress Ewa. I so love Randall's dragons but something I would never be able to do. Your trip sounds like a lot of fun.

Linda

Keebles said...

I feel your pain about the loss of the stitchy bug, but it sounds like you had a good time at HAEDcon and I'd love to meet Aimee Stewart, so I'm a bit jealous there! I do use an iPad, but I still use paper as well. I've found the software to be a bit unreliable and I still like to mark on the paper, so I typically just use the iPad for clocking my time and making the chart bigger so I can see various sections better. They work well together but, at least for me, I still need both.

Sasha said...

This looks great! I'm sure it was a huge sigh of relief when your corners lined up OK. I would have been terrified of them not matching up!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice to see you blogging again. I'm guessing the nephew is the one you're making baby blankets for and this will be ready in a mere 17 years time?

Wish I'd started my son's 18th Birthday present that far in advance LOL.

The Convention sounds so much fun, meeting all the designers and your online friend too.

The Crafty Princess said...

Oh man so jealous that you got to meet Randal!!! First Michael Fassbender and now Randal Spangler. You are just rubbing shoulders with the elite of the industries. Lucky nephew, I wish someone would stitch a Spangler for me cos that is probably the only way I will get a finish piece.

Glad you enjoyed HAEDcon but whew that was quite the hike to get there and back.

xox Alicia

Lady Stitch-a-Lot said...

Lovely work on Medieval Shelf =) I wish I could go to Haed Con, but flying to the US is quite expensive :/ But I love to hear from people who went there and I think it would be awesome to meet some people from blogland ;-)
I also use paper charts, I even got a tablet, but I didn't use it for stitching so far. I think if I ever try my hand on a max color, I'm going to use it because some symbols are very similar.